Monday, August 6, 2012

Dinner Rolls

My husband and I were on a double date at Chuck-a-rama with some friends as I began praising, and gushing over their delicious, light, homemade rolls! "These are sooooooo goood!!!" I said to my friend, "aren't these rolls just the best?!"
"Yeah. They're fine." was her response!
"Fine? Fine?!???! What do you mean they're -FINE-?!?!?!?!!!"
"Well, I have a recipe at home for rolls. I think they're better than this." She shot back with her English accent. Yes, she was from England. I should've known she'd have something up her sleeve! Well of course I demanded it of her, and she was nice enough to share!  And so I will share it with you! :)  This has been my favorite white roll recipe for years, and I haven't felt the need to go looking for any better. These are great! They're not really heavy, but they're not super light. They have good substance to them, and a nice homemade flavor.  Make them and see for yourself! :)


Mix together:
2C warm Water
2 Tbls. Dry Yeast
3/4 C Sugar ( 1Cup for sweet rolls)
Let sit while you gather:
Melt 1C Butter
2 Eggs
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
Mix into the yeast mixture then add:
7-8C Flour
Mix and need until smooth. 
Note: Add only as much flour as you need to make the dough not sticky. It should be soft, and supple. Too much flour will make them dry. You can tell how your rolls will turn out by the texture of the dough when you are done mixing.
Let rise until doubled in bulk. Shape as desired, and place on greased pan. Allow to rise again until very light, about double. Bake at 350 until golden, about 20 min. Mmmm yum! Enjoy!

PS. Never overbake your rolls! It dries them out! My favorite way to tell if they are done is an accurate digital thermometer. They are done at 190 degrees F.  

No comments:

Post a Comment